About the Senior Analyst
The primary role of the Senior Analyst is to carry out the core analytical monitoring and investigatory tasks of the Integrity Team. These include conducting in-depth real-time monitoring, analysis and investigations of the markets offered on Betfair’s sports betting products and the clients who bet on those markets, using a risk based approach. The ability to use balanced judgement is required, particularly when considering risk against commercial imperatives.
In addition, the Senior Analyst assists the Integrity Manager in identifying and implementing improvements to the Integrity Team processes. Senior Analysts also play a leading role in producing evidence statements and in representing the Betfair Integrity Team with external stakeholders. They also have significant experience of monitoring betting markets, investigating suspicious and unusual betting behaviour and of carrying out investigatory casework.
Senior Analysts report to the Integrity Manager.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- At the start of each day review exception reports of the previous days betting activity and preview the days horseracing card and sporting fixtures highlighting to the rest of the Integrity Team events of interest that need to be monitored closely.
- Monitor and analyse markets in real-time using a risk based approach to alert MOU partners of anomalous betting activity in a timely and proactive manner.
- At the end of each day review the day’s sporting events and incidents of interest, summarising for the rest of Integrity Team.
- Conduct daily investigations of unusual and suspicious betting activity relating to sports and other events, reporting findings to the rest of the Integrity Team.
- Carry out analysis and full investigatory casework in support of investigations, disciplinary hearings, tribunals and trials by MOU partners, sports governing bodies and law enforcement organisations.
- Maintenance of existing integrity policies, systems, practices and procedures; and identify and implement improvements to said procedures and systems.
- Develop and maintain communications with internal departments, e.g. Risk and Trading, Customer Services, Payments, Anti-Money Laundering, Legal, Communications and Fraud Teams.
- Produce evidence statements for external investigations.
- Maintain an awareness of developments regarding investigative technologies and techniques which would support new ways of detecting and exploring activity of interest.
- Work within a shift system, incorporating evenings and weekends, ensure year-round coverage where possible.
- Assist the Integrity Manager in promoting the work of the Integrity Team both within PPB and to external stakeholders such as sports governing bodies, regulators and politicians.
- Contribute to special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- Undertake project work to improve processes, systems and tools used by the Team and its external stakeholders.
- Provide support and guidance to integrity analysts, as well as reviewing casework carried out by integrity analysts.
- Deputise for the Integrity Manager when required.
- A strong academic record in a relevant discipline, preferably at degree level.
- Extensive knowledge of sports and the betting environment.
- Ability to present to members of staff, law enforcement personnel, sports governing bodies and potential suppliers as well as the ability to take the stand and act as a subject matter expert at disciplinary hearings, tribunals and trials.
- Experience of external and internal stakeholder management.
- Prior experience in analytical role and the ability to demonstrate strong data interpretation capabilities with logic/analytical skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Prior experience of monitoring betting markets, investigating suspicious and unusual betting behaviour, and of carrying out investigatory casework.
- Proficiency in standard IT packages, particularly Excel.
Desirable Personal Attributes & Competencies.
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline.
- A competent working knowledge of PL/SQL language, Business Objects software and I2 link analysis software.
- Experience of the intelligence cycle, or experience in detecting and investigating financial crime.
- Project management and business process improvement experience.