The Lead Product Manager has responsibility for product management of a suite of related products (product area) in Retail.
The role is responsible for creating a compelling vision for a product area in line with business aspirations then setting, agreeing and executing on the product strategy to take the business towards the vision. This includes responsibility for managing a roadmap of product priorities and initiatives for the designated product area. The role will hold product resources and stakeholders to account to achieve the agreed business strategies and address customer needs.
The Lead Product Manager will also own a large strategic product initiative which may span product areas, the role will be accountable for the successful outcome of the initiative.
This role also orchestrates the work of any members of the product team who are assigned to the initiatives which are led by the Lead Product Manager, mentoring more junior members of the team is expected.
What you’ll be doing…
- Set aspirational vision for the product area assigned, achieve buy in from the team and stakeholders
- Contribute to and lead on specific areas in setting the overall vision for Retail Product
- Lead on strategic product initiatives which span product areas, ensuring we reach the desired outcomes
- Maintain a product roadmap for the product area assigned, keep focus on agreed business priorities and the customer needs. Ensure there is clarity on the priorities and the outcomes
- Set clear and compelling Outcomes and Key Results and track these for product initiatives assigned, use these to make, persevere with or pivot decisions for our products
- Regularly lead conversations and communications to represent the product area. Anticipate, take on, understand and resolve challenges from others.
- Use effective product management methodology, role model and mentor others in using this methodology
- Identify and evaluate opportunities for growth through product innovation within the boundaries of what we are trying to achieve as a business
Stakeholder and supplier management
- Establish and maintain successful partnering with internal functions for your product area i.e. engineering, analytics, design, marketing, operations and other group functions
- Provide stakeholders with appropriate updates on progress, vision, strategy and the product roadmap
- Lead in managing and partnering with suppliers to meet our objectives and to drive continuous improvement in your product area
- Identify and develop new strategic relationships both internal and external to the company
Use data and a deep understanding of the customer to drive decisions
- Understand, utilise and propose enhancements to our analytic capabilities to gather relevant data for product decision making
- Identify the need for analytics in decision making, commission or undertake analytical work as necessary. Simplify and competently communicate the data insights.
- Identify the need for qualitative customer feedback, structure the feedback mechanisms to get valuable customer insights for product decision making
- Create meaningful measures for the product area, ensure what we are measuring aligns to what we are trying to achieve e.g. Key Performance Indicators are aligned to strategy and the customer behaviours we want to impact
- Capture and translate needs identified both qualitatively and quantitatively into requirements and priorities, ensure roadmaps are set accordingly
Market and performance trends
- Keep up to date and communicate competitor positioning and products in UK and Ireland, ensure this positively supports decision making.
- Incorporate insights from other industries, emerging technologies, regulations and bookmaking in other countries when supporting and creating product strategies
- Anticipate drivers of customer behaviour and commercial performance, synthesise and apply research to identify growth opportunities, use this to support strategy definition and product initiative direction
- Understand P&L performance trends and the potential impact on product strategies
- Understand the capabilities of the technical architecture of our products and the direction the assigned initiatives are taking it.
- Assess new technologies in partnership with our technology teams to ensure the right technical decisions are being made for the business
What we’re looking for…
- Communication – is a skilled communicator, able to deliver complex messages in a clear and concise manner
- Customer focus – thinks about customers and puts them at the heart of all PPB do
- Collaborates – this is a cross-functional role, the candidate is a team player and thrives on working with and influencing peers and stakeholders
- Partners with others across the organisation to get work done
- Gains trust and support of others
- Flexes communication style to meet the needs of various audiences
- Decision quality – makes quality long and short-term decisions
- Relies on mixture of good analytics capability, economic wisdom, experience and judgement when making decisions
- Considers all opinions and uses appropriate decision-making criteria and principles
- Recognises when a quick 80% solution will suffice
- Leadership – capable of leading virtual teams and influencing others
- Drives results – gets stuck in and achieves results with high levels of energy and enthusiasm
- Resilient – demonstrates a bias for action when faced with tough challenges
- Is confident under pressure
- Handles and manages crises effectively
- Creates a climate where people are curious, try out improvements, learn and adapt
Education, Qualifications & Experiences
- Degree level education
- Clear track record in setting strategy and seeing it through to results required
- Experience with customer-facing software and/or hardware products required
- Experience working in consumer-facing business would be an advantage
- Knowledge of the betting industry would be an advantage