The IT Operations function is accountable for ensuring that all critical PPB systems are maintained at peak uptime, performance and quality standards to provide the highest possible level of access to our customer products.
As part of the IT Operations Function, the DBA Team provides technical implementation, coaching and operations support to the delivery teams while allowing the business scale at speed.
The Database Engineer will be part of an international team of Database Engineers, across a range of database technology specialties, to deliver the core database platforms required by the PPB organisation.
The DBA will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems as their core competency, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our corporate applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Within the teams, uptime and availability of all the services across the estate is critical to PPB’s success and 24×7 support is provided using an on-call rota. Data drives our business, and it is therefore vital to implement and support the right platform in order to store data and make it available to our business. A strong focus on data recoverability, performant systems and continuous automation and self-service is key to the success of the team.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an organisation at the leading edge of database and automation solutions with a full CI/CD pipeline for a large part of the database estate on our award winning Openstack platform. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to acquire a working knowledge of a full suite of DevOps tooling along with public and private cloud integration.
The successful candidate will be primarily a SQL Server DBA with, ideally, experience in other database technologies (e.g. MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL or Informix). Must be capable of working independently and collaboratively. A positive mindset and willingness to learn are critical in this role.
- Manage SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Apply data modelling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Independently analyse, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Provide 24×7 support for critical production systems.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
- Ensuring operational excellence is part of the ways of working by routinely seeking improvements that can be actioned by the wider team – we need a continuous improvement mind-set.
- The role requires excellent communication and customer focus skills to ensure the Database Engineer offers the best possible customer service
The ideal candidate will possess the following key strengths:
- 5+ years MS SQL Server Administration experience (all versions)
- Ideally has experience with other database technologies (or a willingness to cross train)
- A full understanding of MSSQL high availability solutions
- A customer-first mentality
- Capable of working in the demanding environment of mission-critical business systems
- A strong desire to drive continual improvement
- Experience working with Windows Server and Linux
- Strong performance management background – takes own development and performance seriously, constantly wanting to improve
- Experience of delivering within a flexible environment where priorities can change depending on business needs
- Experience in incident management, dealing efficiently with business communications during minor and major incidents – always thinking about the stakeholder/customer
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams
- Experience working within an Agile/Kanban framework
- Ideally has experience of Sharepoint and BI solutions
- A working knowledge SSIS (Sql Server Integration Services) would also be advantageous